In 1884, the Eau Claire Furniture Company, a furniture store and funeral home, was organized by Christian Lenmark and Ole Ness. It was established at 114 West Grand Avenue, which was known as Kelsey Street at that time.
In 1904, Lenmark's three sons, Peter Oscar, Carl and Aaron became associated with the firm, which was renamed Lenmark and Sons. Christian Lenmark sold his interest to Peter Oscar in 1912. The Current building at 814 First Avenue was planned and built to establish the first mortuary devoted to funeral service in the entire Midwest in 1916.
Peter Oscar Lenmark's son, Aaron, joined the firm in 1927, and took over management of the firm with the death of his father in July of 1947. At that time a long contemplated plan to modernize the building was started. The decoration and design was carried out in Colonial motif. One of the additions to the Colonial Drawing Room was the white marble fireplace which came out of the L.S. Donaldson mansion in Minneapolis. The death of Aaron Lenmark in 1949 came just as the plans were about to be completed.
After Aaron Lenmark's death the management of the firm was taken over by his brother, Jacques Lenmark who joined the firm in 1938, the second member of the third generation to head the staff.
In 1956, the funeral home was enlarged to its present size and redecorated in the same Colonial motif. The large drawing rooms which serve as the funeral chapel area can seat over 150 people. Property on either side of the building was acquired and converted to large parking areas.
In 1972, Jacques Lenmark sold the funeral home to Jerry Gomsrud and the name was changed to Lenmark Gomsrud Funeral Home. In December of 1993, Jerry Gomsrud sold the funeral home to Brad and Caryn Linn. A number of remodeling projects have since been completed including the expansion of our parking lot in 2003, now accommodating 85 off street parking spaces.
In 2011, Lenmark Gomsrud Linn Funeral & Cremation Services acquired a second location on the west side of Eau Claire to better serve families. Our new location is at 1405 North Clairemont Avenue.